The quest to provide natural play options for my kid continues . . .
With the Spring well on it's way and my thoughts towards "re-purposing" in full force, I continue my quest, keeping my budget in mind of course, to provide the Bug with natural and imaginative playing options. I feel like a crusader! I have set my sights set to Yard Sales and Resale Shops in order quench my thirst to "re-purpose", stay within budget and create fabulous play options for the Bug.
First, let me start with what is already available to us.
We are starting with a Seaside theme . . . frankly, because we it was the largest theme we already had on-hand. Here is what we re-purposed from around the house:
- We found lots of shells around the house, where they came from? Who knows? The imagination soars. Galveston. Florida. Philippines. Fiji?
- Searching through the bucket-o-animals proved to be useful. We found a starfish, sea turtle and a crab.
- Clipped pictures from magazines of the seaside and ocean animals.
- We ran down to the city beach to grab some sand. Then we cleaned the sand and dried it out for use.
- We searched through books we already had on hand and added them to the bag.
- Throw in a pair of stylish (or maybe not so stylish) sunglasses.
Here are the things we added from the yard sales and resale shops:
- More ocean "clown-fish" looking toys. $1.00 @ Dollar Tree
- Wooden bowl. $2.00 @ Yard Sale
- Sand dollars. $1.00 @ Dollar Tree
- Blue marbles and decorative beads for water. $1.00 @ Dollar Tree
- Old sailing ship statue. $1.25 @ local resale shop
- Nice basket for storage. $1.25 @ local resale shop