The signs and beauty of spring have now come and gone. Symbolizing the motion of the ever changing seasons and life that moves right along with them. We were able to savor some of these budding spring moments back in April on a short hike through our city park area.
We have found our Nature Study time is a great time to study poetry, scripture and hymns. I typically ask the kids to copy a poem in their Nature Study Notebook, or give them a copy of a poem to read under a tree, or simply sing praise songs together while hiking. When we are sketching and observing God's creation, it just seems like the time to reflect, praise and pray. Poems, hymns and scripture have continually helped us remained focused during our Nature Study. Focused on the One who made it all.
Below I have included some poetry selections, scriptures and hymns that would work great alongside your planned Nature Study.
"Know ye that the LORD He is God: It is He that made us, and not we ourselves; we are His people, and the sheep of His pasture." (NKJV)
The Road Not Taken
"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
~ Robert Frost
"Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and He that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadth aboard the earth by Myself;" (NKJV)
"You are worthy, O LORD, our God, to receive glory and honor and power. For You created everything, and it is for Your pleasure that they exist and were created." (NLT)
"My KING is strong and mighty,
Ever faithful and true.
The world will not shake me,
For He is always there for me and you."
~ Joyful Socks Mom
Nature Study Resources:
- The Handbook of Nature Study blog and Outdoor Hour Challenge + FOLLOW Barb's Pin Board because she is rockin' the nature study, as usual!
- Great Nature Study Post and lovely photography at Spell Out Loud + Maureen's Nature Learning Pin Board
- Ultimate Nature Study Homeschool Cooperative Pin Board by @JimmiesCollage
- Don't forget to come follow my little ole' Nature Study Pin Board
Many blessings for a safe, fun and healthy summer
The Joyful Socks Mom
BIG THINGS HAPPENING IN "MAC"ville!:
- FACEBOOK PARTY! Mom Only Boot Camp fun, coming Friday, June 1st, 2012 - Giveaways, Prizes and lots of pre-conference fellowship!
- MOM ONLY! Boot Camp - Best little Homeschool Conference. Having a Generational Heart in your homeschool. *** Registration open - Tickets limited to 100 attendees - Register Today! ***
- Subscribe via email and be entered EACH MONTH to win a $20 Gift Giveaway - beginning June! $20 Olive Garden Gift Card